Apply now: Green Talents Award 2020
Are you an up-and-coming researcher with ground-breaking visions to create a better and more sustainable future for all? Is your research dedicated to realise the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Do you have the potential to change the world?
Green Talents – International Forum for High Potentials in Sustainable Development invites you as a pioneering scientist to apply with your trailblazing approach! Showcase your research to the broader public, exchange with outstanding experts, and lay the foundation for long-lasting collaborations with German research institutions.
As a successful Green Talent 2020, you will receive
- an invitation to the fully funded two-week Green Talents Science Forum in October 2020, consisting of
- visits to leading German sustainability facilities, institutions and companies with exclusive insights into their pioneering research and projects,
- individual appointments with German experts of your choosing to discuss possibilities for upcoming joint research and cooperation efforts,
- networking opportunities at the award ceremony in Berlin with participating Green Talents alumni,
- a fully funded research stay of up to three months at an institution of your own choice in Germany in 2021,
- exclusive access for you to the prestigious Green Talents alumni network.
Who can apply?
Eligible to apply are
- master students, PhD students, postdocs, as well as young professionals, with no more than three years of professional work experience (excluding professional work experiences gained within the scope of an academic degree) and a strong focus on sustainable development.
- Applicants must prove excellent command of English and above-average grades.
- Furthermore, only applications from non-German citizens or residents can be considered.
For more information please refer to www.greentalents.de where both the competition flyer as well as the award trailer are accessible.
Deadline for submission: 19 May 2020, 2 p.m. CEST.
Due to the current situation regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, changes may occur on short notice. Please check our website www.greentalents.de regularly for latest updates.
The Green Talents programme has been hosted by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research since 2009. It is held under the patronage of the German Minister of Education and Research, Ms Anja Karliczek. Honouring 25 young international researchers each year, the initiative has successfully fostered the global exchange of innovative green ideas within the field of sustainability. To this day, 257
outstanding scientists from 69 countries have been awarded for their tremendous achievements to making their communities, countries and societies more sustainable.
Green Talents awardees and their projects (selected)
Jesús Esteban Serrano
Dr Owen Horwood
Dr Nihar Ranjan Samal
What if you could turn waste into something that benefits the environment? Something that reduces fossil fuel consumption, helps generate clean energy, and can even – if all goes to plan – be used to bind large quantities of the greenhouse gas CO2? This was the big question Jesús Esteban Serrano set out to answer.
Sustainability is his area of research. Dr Owen Horwood from Johannesburg, South Africa is an environmental expert and winner of the Green Talent competition for young scientists. He talks about his experiences at the International Forum for High Potentials in Sustainable Development.
What does clean water for your home mean to you? Is it something you take for granted or something you can only dream about? In poorer regions of the world, many clean water technologies are simply not affordable. Freshwater scientist Nihar Ranjan Samal is familiar with the problem from his native region of East India. He is working successfully on innovative solutions.